Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Capture the Flag! (Week 6)

Flexibility is probably the most fascinating aspect of social media plans. Flow of information is so fast, it actually exhausts me sometimes. People tend to do relaxing things when they are exhausted. I like keeping a blog, it clears my mind and gives me a bit of a fresh air. My mom likes playing bejeweled on Facebook, my friend likes to play some flash games online to kill time. I see people playing scrabble on the subway through their Facebook accounts. Well, if these are not captive, I have no idea what is. 


Know your audience! Social media is all about the conversation, about the engagement and the appealing vision of yourself on your online profile. When I say yourself, I mean your product, your service, your application, your music, your art and etc. 


If I were to give away 5GB of online space for the 50th person who posts the headline for Globe and Mail everyday and promote this on my Facebook, Twitter, Myspace and Yammer profiles, I am pretty sure I would get lots of views on my blog. Or you know what, I will hide secret words in my blog entries and actually make everyone read it. It sounds a bit Machiavellist approach, however still the thrill of winning and playing creates the engagement to my blog, which is my product here in this metaphor. 


So, until now, I know my audience, I know what they like, I try to engage them by using  fun methods, so that leaves the belonging feel, where contributors can talk to each other and create a community around my product/service/brand. I believe this is the essential part of reaching the satisfactory levels of engagement. After all, greatest ideas mostly come from the consumers, good managers always value feedback, and social media provides the easiest channel of communication. 


One final thing, I really don't like the fact that Twitter was actually a side project, it is not fair! People spend months or years, trying to capture audience on their websites, whereas this guy comes on the stage, gives a 6 minute "back from the grave" toned speech. A bit enthusiasm please, life has been treating you well, give that vibe back to your listeners. I believe that talk was the best example how not to engage people. Anyway, not my place to talk I guess.


See you in half an hour.




Related Question: How can we design our social media marketing plans to ensure the engagement of our target audience? What tips can we gain from the readings to help us understand how to engage people from both a social and an entertainment perspective?

No comments:

Post a Comment